Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Regarding Heart-Stirring Noble Themes

 



Greetings Sisters and Brothers, faithful doers of the Word as well as hearers…

Psalm 45: 1 My heart is stirred by a noble theme
    as I recite my verses for the king;
    my tongue is the pen of a skillful writer.

I fancy myself a creative wordsmith and so this verse caught my eye.

“my tongue is the pen of a skillful writer”.

Part of the sermon for Sunday deals with restraining our speech…

James 1: 1:26 If any think they are religious, and do not bridle their tongues but deceive their hearts, their religion is worthless.

But today I encourage you to unleash your tongue in response to noble themes, good things, praise for Christ. Unleash your tongue not only in the sanctuary where it is expected and is the normal thing to do. Also speak about these wonderful things in the sanctuary of the marketplace, the mechanic’s garage, Facebook and beyond!

Let’s be as much, if not more, about preparing our hearts and tongues to speak well of others, finding some good thing to report.

In looking on the bright side and finding good things to speak about, I do not advocate ignorance of the problems we have around us, prayer is the rightful place for such things; loving and respectful action (as James will preach) can right many wrongs.

But as for our speech, it comes from what is in our hearts.

Just as the Psalmist invites God to search his heart (Psalm 139: 23-24) perhaps we too should spend some time searching our own hearts.

What noble theme has God used to stir your heart?

Give that noble theme some words today.