Saturday, October 3, 2026

Concor Eastside Elementary School Centennial Celebration October 3 2026

 



Psalms 102: 27 But you remain the same,
    and your years will never end.
28 The children of your servants will live in your presence;
    their descendants will be established before you.”

Concord Eastside Elementary school celebrated its Centennial on October 3 this year.

I worked as a janitor in that school fifty years ago.

I remember thinking at that time “Fifty years is a long time for anything to be around.”

I remember the original two-story building on the site.

I remember using an old-style washing tub with attached wringer, which grabbed my fingers, as I laundered the cleaning cloths.

I remember listening to WLS on the PA system while I scrubbed and refinished the floors in the classrooms.

But here, at the Centennial Celebration, things have changed, and upgraded with new materials.

I had once said to my grandfather when I noticed the Central building at Concord being demolished in 1974 “They are tearing down my history.” He replied “They’ll be doing that your whole life.”

Yes, buildings will come and go, languages change over historic time, our personal conditions seem as unpredictable as the weather.

But the psalmist assures us that God never changes.

The Psalmist encourages hope in a God who is beyond the fickle and erratic impulses of the architects of change.

Pictures from the Centennial Celbration