Tuesday, October 6, 2026

Our Constitution is Not Based on Judeo-Christian Principles

 


Periodically I read on social media the idea that the Constitution of the United States was based on Judeo-Christian principles.

As a diligent reader of both, the Constitution, and the Bible, I can find no truth or substance in the idea.

Nowhere in the Bible do I read that human governments should be set in three coequal branches of legislative, executive, and judicial.

Nowhere in the Bible do I find the right to keep and bear arms, nor of the freedom of the press, or speech.

Nowhere in the Bible do I read, as I do read in the Constitution, that government has the authority to establish laws for copyright and patent protections.

There just is not anything in the Bible that resembles to any degree the content or principle contained in the Constitution.

I cannot find anything in the Constitution that brings over the Ten Commandments, the teachings of Jesus, the advice of Paul to churches as to how they should run their churches.

These two, the Constitution and the Bible, are as different in nature and purpose as are a hockey game and a wine-tasting event.

I do, however, report one singular thought in the Constitution that, incidentally and accidentally, can be found in the Bible; Article I, Section 8, clause 5 states The Congress shall have Power To . . . fix the Standard of Weights and Measures.

Proverbs 20:10 states “Differing weights and differing measures— the LORD detests them both.” 

It is a stretch to think that the founders, when given opportunity to reach toward the Bible for readily recognizable principles, grasped only this solitary concept to include, especially when one discovers that the importance of accurate weights and measures can also be found in the records of the ancient Egyptians.

(https://www.ucl.ac.uk/museums-static/digitalegypt/weights/weight.html)

It is just as logical to conclude that founders imported principles from the Egyptians to the Constitution as to assume they did so from the Bible.