Saturday, October 3, 2026

Reviewing a Review of a Review of a Beatles Album

 


 


Opinions and perspectives, most everyone of interest bearing one, represent the accumulated, deliberated, or totally impetuous, personal reactions to events, artistic works, and all other human exercise of thought and deed.

Today I bring to you an example of such exercise of perspective from the drawer of historical general irrelevance (though perhaps relevant to some).

In other words, I offer a review of reviews.

In June of nineteen-sixty-seven the Beatles released “Sergeant Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band”.

The following is a partial review of the album followed by a review of the review which I then will review…

New York Times, Richard Goldstein (June 18, 1967)

“The sound is a pastiche of dissonance and lushness. The  mood is mellow, even nostalgic. But, like the cover, the over-all effect is busy, hip and cluttered. Like an over-attended child, ‘Sergeant Pepper’ is spoiled. It reeks of horns and harps, harmonica quartets, assorted animal noises and a 41-piece orchestra; on at least one cut, the Beatles are not heard at all instrumentally.”


Esquire, Robert Christgau (review written in December 1967)

“Sgt. Pepper is a consolidation, more intricate than Revolver but not more substantial. Part of [Richard] Goldstein’s mistake, I think, has been to allow all the filters and reverbs and orchestral effects and overdubs to deafen him to the stuff underneath, which was pretty nice, and to fall victim to over-anticipation. Although Goldstein still insists he was right, I attribute his review to a failure of nerve.”

 

Mike Settles

The five months the Beatles worked on the album before its release should have alerted the consumer, radio DJ, and reviewer that this album was not to be a usual release but an unprecedented musical adventure pushing rock music and the Beatles’ own personal and collective creative expression to a relatively unrestrained crest.

I think what Goldstein describes as an over attended child really was the freedom to experiment without the conventional restraints of monetary budgets and recording company policy.

Christgau describes Goldstein as having fallen “victim to over-anticipation”.

One critic criticizing another critic; though I think Christgau was right.

For sure I am not picking on Goldstein. Though I disagree with his review of the album, I love the words and imagery by which he derided the album.

Goldstein had once described the voice of Nico (Christa Paffgen) with the following words…

“She sings in perfect mellow ovals, like a cello getting up in the morning.”



You can deliberate upon your own perspective of Nico’s vocal qualities by listening to “I’ll Be Your Mirror” at the following Youtube link”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZudHYTya-dQ&list=RDZudHYTya-dQ&start_radio=1